Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Compliments

I was having a particularly stressful day in the office. A lady passed by me and complimented me on my outfit. She said that she has been noticing me in the office because I wear nice clothes. I relaxed a bit and thought that the day wasn't too bad after all.

I was walking alone in Hell's Kitchen feeling gloomy and sticky. It was drizzling, I didn't have an umbrella and I'm having a bad hair day. A decent looking man came up to me and said that he didn't mean to be bold but he thinks I have nice legs(?!?) and that I looked cute. I wasn't even wearing shorts or a skirt at that time. I was wearing cropped pants with the hem falling way below my knees. He didn't stick around or tried to engage me in a conversation. If he did, I would have been creeped out. After saying his piece, he just walked past me and soon disappeared from sight. I walked with a little spring on my step afterwards.

It's amazing how powerful such small and simple words can be. If those strangers were able to pay me a compliment, I'd like to be able to do the same too. I can start with those people close to me and work my way to complimenting total strangers. If I can make someone's day a little bit better, it would be so worth it because knowing I made a difference will definitely make my day.

So who have you complimented today?

No comments: